Monday, April 14, 2008

Running

This Saturday, I met my brother-in-law Joe Kelly and childhood best friend Travis for a run at 6:30am. I have historically never been able to keep up with "the guys", so I was THRILLED to go a full 3.13 miles at a 9:23 min/mile pace. When I first started running, I kept a log, and I really wish that I had stuck with it because it's fun to go back and read. Here is one for my most recent run to compare with my first one.

Saturday, April 12, 2008, 6:30am
Place: Atlanta, TX (aka The Alps compared to flat Frisco)
Distance: 3.13 mi
Climate: 46 degrees; I couldn't feel my fingers
Sweat: Just enough to make me even colder
Theme song: "Mistake" by Fiona Apple. Great beat and so applicable to my life right now.
Sadly, Eugene doesn't want to run anymore. A while back, he pooped in my running shoe, and now when he sees me putting on a sports bra, he runs to his kennel. Poor baby!

My very first entry into the "Jog With My Dog Log"
Monday, Aug 6, 2007, 7pm:
Place: Frisco Commons
Distance: 3 miles
Climate: Ridiculously hot and humid
Sweat: Buckets
Soreness: Of course, my butt and thighs were sore the next day, but I also felt a little in my abs. Woo hoo!

Eugene and I joined the group at Frisco Commons for our inaugural jog/walk training session for a half marathon. I am so thankful that there are several other girls who are at the same level that I am. We ran as far as we could and then walked until we could breathe again. Eugene literally pulled the leash the entire time. At first, a few of the girls were skeptical about me bringing my cute little furball purse-dog to exercise, but he proved them all that he can do it. He never got tired and was still going strong for another hour after we got home! He did sleep really hard that night. He loves it, though. He has boundless energy, and he could stand to lose a third of a pound or so . . . too many Vanilla Woofers.

GOALS:I have never run further than 1.5 miles in my entire life, and that was only once or twice on a treadmill at the gym in Texarkana when I had nothing better to do. My short-term goal is to run a 5k. I don't know if I'll be able to do a half marathon, but I'll certainly try. Really, I'd just like to be able to outrun my 5.5 lb dog.

No comments: