Saturday, April 26, 2008

My worst habit

According to my friend Travis (who has known me longer than anyone minus my family):

(From a survey he filled out about me about a year ago) "What is my worst habit: Overthinking relationships but still not getting that all guys are jerks out for only one thing, and the weak ones who seem like they're not jerks aren't worth dealing with because they don't have enough ambition complement your life fully. Catch 22"

I love Travis for knowing me so well and for referencing my very favorite book. And after the week I've had, I have to concede that he is right. I have spent the last week obsessing and over-analyzing a mere 6 hours of my life: a blind date I had last Thursday night. Of course, the only reason I've wasted so much brain time is because said blind date is ridiculously cute and funny and nice and gave me every indication that he greatly enjoyed himself on the date, too. Had he been the Quasimodo that I had dreaded meeting on this 100% "blind" date, I wouldn't have given him another thought until he called again, forcing me to come up with a reason why I was simply too busy for a second date. However, being the ridiculously cute and funny and nice guy that he is, I have relived every second of that 6 hours countless times, thinking about all the things I liked about him instead of the two that I don't: 1) A misaligned #10 (a tooth, but I can fix that), and 2) the fact that he hasn't called in the (now) 8 days since the date.

Despite being a notoriously poor judge of character (seriously, just ask any friend or family member how stupid and naive and trusting I am of all the wrong people - the reason for a wasted 10 years of my life and the loss of all my jewelry), I always seem to feel like I really "know" someone after a few short hours together. And it is on this basis that I make a myriad of assumptions about what he or she is feeling or thinking or doing when in truth, I have no freakin' clue.

So I am attempting to make some positive life changes regarding my worst habit:
1) I will stop making assumptions about people I hardly know. Actually, I should stop making assumptions about people, period.
2) I will stop projecting my own feelings and emotions and thoughts onto people I hardly know.
3) I will not make any rules or deadlines for this type of situation. (i.e. Well, if he doesn't call by Tuesday, then he's just not that into me, and I'm deleting him from my cell phone, etc . . .)
4) I will live my full and wonderful life in the same manner I did before I met Mr. BDA (I like to make acronyms or nicknames for guys I go out with because it amuses me, makes for quicker typing or texting when chatting about these misadventures in dating as I am so apt to do, and my friends like being "in on it". For example, me: "You are never going to believe who called me!?!" Patti: "Who?!? STS? Chicago? WHO?!?")
5) I will take Travis's advice (because of course, I consulted him via gmail chat about this situation). His assessment: "I'm glad you realize it's a problem that you're obsessing over this guy who you just met... so..be cool.. don't worry about it....he'll either call or he won't... if he does...and he probably will...that's great. if he doesn't...he realizes already that he's not good enough and that's great too" Travis is always good for an ego boost.
6) I will take my own advice from my previous post: Have faith that God has a plan for me, and He will make it happen in His time, not mine.

But I'm so impatient . . .

2 comments:

Juli said...

Good advice from Travis. As for the impatience? It's genetic.... we can't help ourselves. Sorry.

Regi S. said...

Now I keep thinking about the Leah Thompson/Andrew Dice Clay movie "Casual Sex".